Monday 13 January 2014

Pashtunwali - Keep on Fighting for life!


So i just sat and watched Lone Survivor with the wonderful Mark Wahlberg, based on a true story! which of course somewhere in there i'm sure there's an even worse turn of events that happened but obviously we have to make it right for the screen.

Though I'm usual one to laugh at such over the top unrealistic shenanigans such as the expendables and such, there seems to be something about army films that captures my interest, maybe its the endless hours I spent blowing people away on Call of Duty but I do get drawn in, I've always had great respect for the armed forces, I think a lot of people always get drawn into the negative aspect of war, which is understandable. But although we do not agree with all the decisions made by office clerks, the fact these people are willing to risk there lives so I can continue to discover myself in peace is amazing.

The real soldiers of Operation Red Wings!


Anyway to keep it a bit more light hearted and to the point, after being shot, broken and thrown off several cliffs, the one part of the film I loved the most was the Afghan people still helping and showing a part of themselves which I believe is in most of us to fight for. A small description of Pashtunwali an ancient Afghan code of conduct appeared at the end of the film, simple and precise, describing how the tribe must protect an individual against his attacking enemies at all costs. 

This is a lesson we can learn, I'm not talking about picking up guns and blowing people away but more taking a lesson in sticking up for each other no matter where or who or what you might class a person, surely it is just simple human nature to take care of each other. 

Even hardcore front men of metal bands who portray a particular personality have one rule for the mass crowd in front of them "if someone falls down...Pick them up!!"

Rob Flynn of Machinehead


It makes sense really, if someones down pick them up, make sure their okay and then carry on.

Anyway I enjoyed the film and even took something away from it. Simple review, if you like over the top masculine mayhem then its a good ego pumping film with some perfectly inappropriately timed brotherhood style love, but when else are you gonna share a bromance apart from when you have bullets entering your body!!



No comments:

Post a Comment